|Summary of activities in 2009|
|Written by Webmaster|
|Sunday, 03 January 2010 18:10|
• Cross-segment and multi-organizational meetings to plan for social services activities in 2009.
• Planning discussions for Tet [Lunar New Year] Festival.
• Launch the inaugural issue of “Tieng Noi Cong Dong” (Voice of the Community) to be publish once a month as an effective community tool to provide much-needed information on all community activities. Free spaces are also provided to other ethnic groups.
• Contact Area Agency on Aging of Harris County to prepare for a townhall meeting to disseminate available social & medical services information for seniors over 60 years of age.
• Host preparatory meetings to organize various sports events & tournaments for youths in Houston.
• Participate in preliminary discussions with BPSOS (Boat People SOS) Executive Director to receive grant for Hurricane Ike Relief, in conjunction with Neighborhood Center Inc. (NCI) and Lutheran Refugees & Immigrants Services (LRIS).
• Host a townhall meeting with executives from ABC Channel-13 to explore possible collaboration to launch occasional public relations campaign in SW area for all ethnic groups, with respect to medical & social services.
• Host a townhall meeting with HPD Chief Harold Hurtt and his lieutenants to discuss about safety, security & crime prevention within different affected areas in Houston, particularly in the SW.
• Launch pro bono program to assist low-income people with immigration issues, in collaboration with the Asian-American Bar Association of Houston.
• Initiate programs to assist unemployed people to file for unemployment compensation benefits, appeals… at no cost whatsoever.
• Organize Commemoration Event to mourn the loss of South Vietnam on April 30, 1975.
• Contact Food Bank of Houston for food distribution services to low-income people in various areas within Houston City.
• Host a 3-hour workshop with Area Agency on Aging of Harris County to present available services from that agency to eligible applicants. Help process applications on the spot as an example. Also conduct a radio talk-show with employees of AAA right after the conclusion of the meeting, to further broaden the message.
• Participate into detailed discussion with COO of BPSOS about implementation of Hurricane Ike Relief grant from FEMA via NCI & LRIS, as mentioned above.
• Launch radio talk show to alert the public about the upcoming digital transformation in television broadcasting. Provide useful information on how to get the coupons for proper devices to get signals.
• Organize 3-day Crawfish Festival to fundraise for Vietnamese Community Center.
• Assist various Fraternal Associations of former ARVN (Armed Forces of Republic of Vietnam) to organize the annual Armed Forces Day.
• Host a series of workshops, symposia with local business entities to coordinate collective efforts to win contracts from local governments and private sectors in Houston.
• Set up and start running social activities to assist Hurricane Ike victims and survivors in Harris County at the Center, with 2 well-trained case workers to conduct all phases of the entire process: outreach efforts, preliminary interviews, preparation of required documents, translation, referrals to proper agencies…
• Help process applications for qualified people to get assistance from CEAP (Community Energy Assistance Program).
• Distribution of food at the Vietnamese Community Center via Food Bank of Houston.
• Start up training sessions for seniors who are qualified for SCSEP (Senior Community Service Employment Program).
• Organize soccer tournament for youth.
• Assist HISD to recruit volunteers to help in the weekly tutoring programs aiming at at-risk students.
• Participate in luncheon organized by VCSA (Vietnamese Culture & Science Association) to celebrate, honor and recognize the excellence in academic achievement of all valedictorians and salutatorians of high school graduates in the Houston Area and its vicinities.
• Host a series of meetings with representatives of US Census Bureau to launch an all-out effort to exponentially increase the participation of area residents in the upcoming Census 2010 Campaign. The Vietnamese Community Center offers to open up the facility for testing, training and all assistive activities to ensure the success of Census 2010.
• Start a continuing campaign with weekly radio and television talk shows to promote and raise awareness of Census 2010.
• Conduct a series of meetings, in collaboration with Harris County Clerk Office, to actively promote registration of voters throughout the areas.
• Conduct a series of outreach activities by 2 case workers in various locations to assist Hurricane Ike victims & survivors.
• Organize townhall meeting chaired by Congressman Al Green of the 9th district to answer questions and inquiries about increasing social services in his area of congressional responsibilities.
• Assist various organizations & associations to organize the Moon Festival for children.
• Conduct a series of telephone conferences with leaders from other Vietnamese Communities in Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio to coordinate all relevant social services, to share experiences and resources, and to prepare for the inaugural issue of the Houston monthly publication to become the Texas monthly publication for all 5 communities, in January 2010.
• Host a second workshop with Area Agency on Aging of Harris County to promote available services from that agency to qualified seniors over 60 years of age.
• Conduct various meetings throughout Houston to increase more eligible voters for the upcoming November elections.
• Conduct a preliminary meeting with Port of Houston Authority officials to organize a Business Fair at the Vietnamese Center in the near future.
• Launch additional townhall meetings for active engagement to the upcoming run-off elections.
• Provide flu shots at the Center, through services from Area Agency on Aging of Harris County.
• Finalize agreements with all 5 community organizations to launch monthly Texas monthly publication in January 2010.
• Distribute food to low-income people at the Vietnamese Community Center.
• Organize Xmas Festival.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 06 March 2010 08:27|